Removing OSDs - draining but never completes.

Running ceph-pacific 16.2.9 using ceph orchestrator.

We made a mistake adding a disk to the cluster and immediately issued a command to remove it using "ceph orch osd rm ### --replace --force".

This OSD had no data on it at the time and was removed after just a few minutes.  "ceph orch osd rm status" shows that it is still "draining".
ceph osd df shows that the osd being removed has -1 PGs.

So - why is the simple act of removal taking so long and can we abort it and manually remove that osd somehow?

Note: the cluster is also doing a rebalance while this is going on, but the osd being removed never had any data and should not be affected by the rebalance.

thanks!