Re: [ERR] OSD_SCRUB_ERRORS: 2 scrub errors

> On Jan 9, 2023, at 17:46, David Orman <ormandj@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> It's important to note we do not suggest using the SMART "OK" indicator as the drive being valid. We monitor correctable/uncorrectable error counts, as you can see a dramatic rise when the drives start to fail. 'OK' will be reported for SMART health long after the drive is throwing many uncorrectable errors and needs replacement. You have to look at the actual counters, themselves.

I strongly agree, especially given personal experience with SSD firmware design flaws.

Also, examining UDMA / CRC error rates led to the discovery that certain aftermarket drive carriers had lower tolerances than those from the chassis vendor, resulting in drives that were silently slow.  Reseating in most cases restored performance.

— aad