backups

We have a ZFS file system with a billion (smallish) files. We backup using zfs send / receive to a separate system, and write tapes with zfs send. It stores files on HDD, but metadata on SSD. It would be totally impractical to backup to tape using something like tar from HDD with that many files. ( I calculate more than 100 days to do a full.)

If we wanted to do this with cephfs, how would we do backup (or something else that provides DR and protection against a software failure that could corrupt the whole system).  Obviously it has to be polssible to restore in a practical amount of time.