Re: ceph-volume inventory reports available devices as unavailable

On 12/14/22 15:18, Eugen Block wrote:
Hi,

I haven't been dealing with ceph-volume too much lately, but I remember seeing that when I have multiple DB devices on SSD and wanted to replace only one failed drive. Although ceph-volume inventory reported the disk as unavailable the actual create command was successful. But I don't remember which versions were okay and which weren't, there were multiple regressions in ceph-volume IIRC, it seems to be a very complex structure. But apparently '... batch --report' is more reliable than '... inventory'.

I can confirm this behaviour for 16.2.10. The disk is not seen as available, but cephadm will recreate the OSD on the LVM according to the spec (and that in turn invokes ceph-volume with the batch lvm command).

Gr. Stefan