MTU Mismatch between ceph Daemons

Hi guys,

we had some issues with our cephfs last, which probably have been caused by a MTU mismatch (partly at least). Scenario was the following:

OSD Servers: MTU 9000 on public and cluster network
MON+MSD: MTU 1500 on public network
CephFS Clients (Kernel Mout): MTU 9000 on public network
RBD Clients (Openstack Nova): MTU 1500 on public network mostly (only one host had MTU 9000)

We are running Jumbo Frames since 2 years and never had any issues with our RBD Clients, despite the MTU mismatch.

Can someone explain to me, why this worked at all? From a network point of view, all osds should have used Jumbo Frames,  which couldn’t be received by the most of the RBD Clients. The only explaination i can think of is that the ceph code catches the mismatch and doesn’t use Jumbo frames for Clients which don’t support them. Can someone verify this?

Follow Up question would be: Is this mechanism not present in the cephfs kernel mount? (This would explain most of the problems we saw).

Ceph Version is 16.2.10 across the board. Kernel used for cephfs kernel mounts is 5.4.0-135

Regards
Felix
Forschungszentrum Juelich GmbH
52425 Juelich
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Juelich
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrats: MinDir Volker Rieke
Dr. Astrid Lambrecht, Prof. Dr. Frauke Melchior