Re: Upgrade Ceph 16.2.10 to 17.2.x for Openstack RBD storage

Answering my own question: Wallaby's cinder doesn't support Ceph Quincy,
https://docs.openstack.org/cinder/latest/configuration/block-storage/drivers/ceph-rbd-volume-driver.html

"Supported Ceph versions

The current release cycle model for Ceph targets a new release yearly on 1
March, with there being at most two active stable releases at any time.

For a given OpenStack release, Cinder supports the current Ceph active
stable releases plus the two prior releases.

For example, at the time of the OpenStack Wallaby release in April 2021,
the Ceph active supported releases are Pacific and Octopus. The Cinder
Wallaby release therefore supports Ceph Pacific, Octopus, Nautilus, and
Mimic.

Additionally, it is expected that the version of the Ceph client available
to Cinder or any of its associated libraries (os-brick, cinderlib) is
aligned with the Ceph server version. Mixing server and client versions is
unsupported and may lead to anomalous behavior."

As pointed out by a kind soul on reddit.

/Z