From: Venky Shankar <vshankar@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: 29 November 2022 10:09:21
To: Frank Schilder
Cc: Reed Dier; ceph-users
Subject: Re:  Re: MDS stuck ops

On Tue, Nov 29, 2022 at 1:42 PM Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi Venky.
>
> > You most likely ran into performance issues with distributed ephemeral
> > pins with octopus. It'd be nice to try out one of the latest releases
> > for this.
>
> I run into the problem that distributed ephemeral pinning seems not actually implemented in octopus. This mode didn't pin anything, see also the recent conversation with Patrick:

Distributed ephemeral pins used to distribute inodes under a directory
mongst MDSs which had scalability issues due to the sheer number of
subtrees. This was changed to distribute dirfrags and I think those
changes were not in octopus.

> https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/ceph-users@xxxxxxx/thread/YEB34F5SREAOOMATOKC6NO3G2GVCSOOZ
>
> I sent him a couple of dumps, but am not sure if he is doing anything with it. I wrote a small script to do the distributed pinning by hand and it solved all sorts of problems.

Distributing dirfrags solved a lot of scalability issues and those
changes are available in pacific and beyond. We aren't backporting to
octopus anymore, so the options are limited.

--
Cheers,
Venky