Re: Persistent Bucket Notification performance

Hi Steven,
When using synchronous (=non-persistent) notifications, the overall rate is
dependent on the latency between the RGW and the endpoint to which you are
sending the notifications. The protocols for sending the
notifications (kafka/amqp) are using batches and are usually very
efficient. However, if there is latency, this would slow down the RGW.

When using asynchronous (=persistent) notifications, they are written to a
RADOS-backed queue by the RGW that received the request, and then pulled
from that queue by some other (or sometimes the same) RGW that sends the
notifications to the endpoint.
Pulling from the queue, and sending the notifications is usually very fast,
however, writing to the notification queue is a RADOS operation. The amount
of information written to the queue is usually small but still has the
RADOS overhead, as the notifications are written one-by-one. So, in this
case, the limiting factor would be the RADOS IOpS.

Please let me know if this clarifies the behavior you observe?

Yuval