Re: Ceph cluster shutdown procedure

The SUSE docs [1] cover that part (in general):

---snip---
- Tell the Ceph cluster not to mark OSDs as out:
ceph osd set noout

- Stop daemons and nodes in the following order:
    Storage clients
    Gateways, for example NFS Ganesha or Object Gateway
    Metadata Server
    Ceph OSD
    Ceph Manager
    Ceph Monitor

- If required, perform maintenance tasks.

- Start the nodes and servers in the reverse order of the shutdown process:
    Ceph Monitor
    Ceph Manager
    Ceph OSD
    Metadata Server
    Gateways, for example NFS Ganesha or Object Gateway
    Storage clients

- Remove the noout flag:
ceph osd unset noout
---snip---

I believe the cephadm maintenance mode is to keep a cluster running and protect from data loss by shutting down too many services. But if you stop the services with systemctl (or shut down the servers in the recommended order) you would be able to stop the cluster. I'd recommend to test the procedure in a test cluster to see if it works for you.

[1] https://documentation.suse.com/ses/7.1/single-html/ses-admin/#sec-salt-cluster-reboot

Zitat von Steven Goodliff <sgoodliff@xxxxxxxxx>:

Hi,

Is there a recommended way of shutting a cephadm cluster down completely?

I tried using cephadm to stop all the services but hit the following
message.

"Stopping entire osd.osd service is prohibited"

Thanks