Re: Any concerns using EC with CLAY in Quincy (or Pacific)?

I'm running 16.2.9 and have been using clay for 3 or 4 years. I can't speak
to your scale, but I have had no long term reliability problems at small
scale, including one or two hard power-down scenarios. (Alaska power is not
too great! Not so much a grid as a very short stepladder.)

On Thu, Oct 20, 2022 at 12:05 PM Sean Matheny <sean.matheny@xxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> HI all,
>
> We've deployed a new cluster on Quincy 17.2.3 with 260x 18TB spinners
> across 11 chassis that will be used exclusively in the next year or so as a
> S3 store. 100Gb per chassis shared by both cluster and public networks,
> NVMe DB/WAL, 32 phys cores @ 2.3Ghz base, 192GB chassis ram (per 24 OSDs).
>
> We're looking to use the clay ec plugin for our rgw (data) pool, as it
> appears to use less reads in recovery, and might be beneficial. I'm going
> to be benchmarking recovery scenarios ahead of production, but that of
> course doesn't give a view on longer-term reliability. :)  Anyone hear of
> any bad experiences, or any reason not to use over jerasure? Any reason to
> use cauchy-good instead of reed-solomon for the use case above?
>

> Ngā mihi,
>
> Sean Matheny
> HPC Cloud Platform DevOps Lead
> New Zealand eScience Infrastructure (NeSI)
>
> e: sean.matheny@xxxxxxxxxxx

Jeremy Austin
jhaustin@xxxxxxxxx