Re: Recent ceph.io Performance Blog Posts

On 11/9/22 6:03 AM, Eshcar Hillel wrote:
Hi Mark,

Thanks for posting these blogs. They are very interesting to read.
Maybe you have an answer to a question I asked in the dev list:

We run fio benchmark against a 3-node ceph cluster with 96 OSDs. Objects are 4kb. We use gdbpmp profilerhttps://github.com/markhpc/gdbpmp <https://github.com/markhpc/gdbpmp> to analyze the threads' performance. we discovered the bstore_kv_sync thread is always busy, while all 16 tp_osd_tp threads are not busy most of the time (wait on a conditional variable or a lock). Given that 3 rocksdb CFs are sharded, and sharding is configurable, why not run multiple (3) bstore_kv_sync threads? they won't have conflicts most of the time. This has the potential of removing the rocksdb bottleneck and increasing IOPS.

Can you explain this design choice?

You are absolutely correct that the bstore_kv_sync thread can often be a bottleneck during 4K random writes.  Typically it's not so bad that the tp_osd_tp threads are mostly blocked though (feel free to send me a copy of the trace, I would be interested in seeing it).  Years ago I advocated for the same approach you are suggesting here.  The fear at the time was that the changes inside bluestore would be too disruptive.  The column family sharding approach could be (and was) mostly contained to the KeyValueDB glue code.  Column family sharding has been a win from the standpoint that it helps us avoid really deep LSM hierarchies in RocksDB.  We tend to see faster compaction times and are more likely to keep full levels on the fast device.  Sadly it doesn't really help with improving metadata throughput and may even introduce a small amount of overhead during the WAL flush process.  FWIW slow bstore_kv_sync is one of the reasons that people will some times run multiple OSDs on one NVMe drive (sometimes it's faster, sometimes it's not).

Maybe a year ago I tried to sort of map out the changes that I thought would be necessary to shard across KeyValueDBs inside bluestore itself.  It didn't look impossible, but would require quite a bit of work (and a bit of finesse to restructure the data path).  There's a legitimate questions of whether or not it's worth it now to make those kinds of changes to bluestore or invest in crimson and seastore at this point.  We ended up deciding not to pursue the changes back then.  I think if we changed our minds it would most likely go into some kind of experimental bluestore v2 project (along with other things like hierarchical storage) so we don't screw up the existing code base.