Re: how to upgrade host os under ceph

On 10/26/22 16:14, Simon Oosthoek wrote:
Dear list,

I'm looking for some guide or pointers to how people upgrade the underlying host OS in a ceph cluster (if this is the right way to proceed, I don't even know...)

Our cluster is nearing the 4.5 years of age and now our ubuntu 18.04 is nearing the end of support date. We have a mixed cluster of u18 and u20 nodes, all running octopus at the moment.

We would like to upgrade the OS on the nodes, without changing the ceph version for now (or per se).

You can upgrade, or do a re-install. If you want to start fresh while keeping all OSD / MON data intact, then that's easily possible. OSDs can be activate with ceph-volume command. The mon store on the monitors should be preserved (make a backup). If it's on a separate disk (recommended) than you should leave it alone. Backup the /etc/ceph/ directory so after a re-install you can restore quickly and easily. It's good to know how to recover from an OS failure in case disk(s) die anyway. We have an iPXE setup for (re-)installations, and if the node has a NVMe OS disk its bootstrapped in a couple of minutes. <brag> Our current record of re-installing / reprovisioning a node (incl. recovery) is under 30 minutes </brag>.

Gr. Stefan