Re: cephfs ha mount expectations

I use this very example, few more servers.  I have no outage windows for my
ceph deployments as they support several production environments.

MDS is your focus, there are many knobs, but MDS is the key to client
experience.  In my environment, MDS failover takes 30-180 seconds,
depending on how much replay and rejoin needs to take place.  During this
failover I/O on the client is paused, but not broken. If you were to do an
ls at the time of failover, it may not return for a couple min worst case.
If a file transfer is ongoing it will stop writing for this failover time,
but both will complete after failover.

If I have MDs issues and failover for whatever reason is > 5 min, my
clients are lost.  I must reboot all clients tied to that MDS to recover
due to thousands of open files in various states.  This is obviously major
impact, and as we learn ceph happens less frequently, and only 3 times in
the first year of operation.

It’s awesome tech, and I look forward to future enhancements in general.