Re: MDS_CLIENT_LATE_RELEASE after setting up scheduled CephFS snapshots

Hi Edward,

On Wed, 19 Oct 2022 at 21:27, Edward R Huyer <erhvks@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> I recently set up scheduled snapshots on my CephFS filesystem, and ever since the cluster has been intermittently going into HEALTH_WARN with an MDS_CLIENT_LATE_RELEASE notification.
>
> Specifically:
>
> [WARN] MDS_CLIENT_LATE_RELEASE: 1 clients failing to respond to capability release
>
>         mds.[redacted](mds.0): Client [redacted] failing to respond to capability release client_id: 806270628
>

> I catch errors like this in the logs:
> client.785155718 isn't responding to mclientcaps(revoke), ino 0x10004c1abc6 pending pAsLsXsFsc issued pAsLsXsFsc, sent 3844.269321 seconds ago
>
> (Ignore the fact that the client numbers don't match in this case; one was captured before the client was rebooted, the other after.  There's only one CephFS client and the numbers normally match.)
>
> If left alone, the issue eventually resolves itself, then comes back at some point in the future.
>
> It appears to be the same as this bug:  https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/49434
> Which leads here:  https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/57244
> And then this pull request:  https://github.com/ceph/ceph/pull/47752
>
> My reading is that this is simply a matter of the MDS not recognizing that the caps have, in fact, been released, and that I can safely ignore the warnings until the patch percolates down to a Pacific release.  Is that right, or am I missing something significant?

The PR has been marked for being backported to Pacific, so the patch
will eventually end up in Pacific. In running tests for CephFS, I
haven't seen more complications from this bug than the issue you seem
to hit. This is what I see normally - "cluster [WRN] client.xxxxx
isn't responding to mclientcaps(revoke)". So ignoring it probably is
safe. I'll try to contact the PR author and ask for an opinion.

- Regards,
Rishabh