Re: How to force PG merging in one step?

Hi Eugen.

> During recovery there's another factor involved
> (osd_max_pg_per_osd_hard_ratio), the default is 3. I had to deal with
> that a few months back when I got inactive PGs due to many chunks and
> "only" a factor of 3. In that specific cluster I increased it to 5 and
> didn't encounter inactive PGs anymore.

Yes, I looked at this as well and I remember cases where people got stuck with temporary PG numbers being too high. This is precisely why I wanted to see this warning. If its off during recovery, the only way to notice that something is going wrong is when you hit the hard limit. But then its too late.

I actually wanted to see this during recovery to have an early warning sign. I purposefully did not increase pg_num_max to 500 to make sure that warning shows up. I personally consider it really bad behaviour if recovery/rebalancing disables this warning. Recovery is the operation where exceeding a PG limit limit without knowing will hurt most.

Thanks for the heads up. Probably need to watch my * a bit more with certain things.

Best regards,