Re: How to check which directory has ephemeral pinning set?

On Sat, Oct 8, 2022 at 7:27 PM Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I believe I enabled ephemeral pinning on a home dir, but I can't figure
> out how to check that its working. Here is my attempt:
>
> Set the flag:
> # setfattr -n ceph.dir.pin.distributed -v 1 /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/home
>
> Try to read it:
> # getfattr -n ceph.dir.pin.distributed  /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/home
> /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/home: ceph.dir.pin.distributed: No such attribute

This is a known issue for pre-pacific releases.
There's a fix in pacific v16.2.8 and later which returns values of
ceph.dir.pin* virtual xattrs correctly.

To try to see if the distributed pin flag has indeed been set, you could
try getting an inode dump with:
$ ceph tell mds.0 dump inode <inode_number>

and check for the field export_ephemeral_distributed_pin to get the value
of that field for that inode.

However, you might have to iterate through the mds ranks to get the inode
if the inode has been identified as *hot* and has been distributed to some
other mds.
e.g.
$ ceph tell mds.2 dump inode <inode-number>

You can get the dir inode number with:
$ ls -lid /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/home

Similarly, if you iterate through all the immediate subdirs of
/mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/home and get inode dumps, you'll get to know which
mds is the auth mds for the inode when you actually get the inode dump from
the particular mds rank. The mds from which you get the inode dump is the
mds that the node has been distributed to for auth queries and responses.

> Hmm. ???
>
> Well, at least the first command might have done something, because this
> fails:
> # setfattr -n ceph.dir.pin.distrid -v 1 /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/groups
> setfattr: /mnt/admin/cephfs/hpc/groups: Invalid argument
>
> What is the right way to confirm its working?
>
> Thanks and best regards,

Milind