Re: OSD crashes during upgrade mimic->octopus

Hi Stefan,

to answer your question as well:

> ... conversion from octopus to
> pacific, and the resharding as well). We would save half the time by
> compacting them before hand. It would take, in our case, many hours to
> do a conversion, so it would pay off immensely. ...

With experiments on our test cluster I expected the HDD conversion to take 9 hours and the SSD conversion around 20 minutes. I was really surprised that the HDD conversion took only a few minutes. The SSDs took probably 10-20 minutes, but I'm not sure, because I don't remember having seen them come up. If they were up, then only for a very short moment.

With this short time I was celebrating already that the conversion on all our hosts can be done in 2 days. Well. Now we managed the first one in 24-48 hours :( I really hope the next ones go smoother.

So, for us on-line conversion actually worked great ... until the unconverted OSDs started crashing. Things are stable now since about an hour. I really hope nothing more crashes. Recovery will likely take more than 24 hours. A long way to go in such a fragile situation.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14