Re: ceph on kubernetes

Hey Oğuz,

the typical recommendations of native ceph still uphold in k8s,
additionally something you need to consider:

- Hyperconverged setup or dedicated nodes - what is your workload and
  budget
- Similar to native ceph, think about where you want to place data, this
  influences the selector inside rook of which devices / nodes to add
- Inside & Outside consumption: rook is very good with in-cluster
  configurations, creating PVCs/PVs, however you can also use rook
- mgr: usually we run 1+2 (standby) on native clusters, with k8s/rook it
  might be good enough to use 1 mgr, as k8s can take care of
  restarting/redeploying
- traffic separation: if that is a concern, you might want to go with
  multus in addition to your standard CNI
- Rook does not assign `resource` specs to OSD pods by default, if you
  hyperconverge you should be aware of that
- Always have the ceph-toolbox deployed - while you need it rarely, when
  you need it, you don't want to think about where to get the pod and
  how access it

Otherwise from our experience rook/ceph is probably the easiest in
regards to updates, easier than native handling and I suppose (*) easier
than cephadm as well.

Best regards,

Nico

(*) Can only judge from the mailing list comments, we cannot use cephadm
as our hosts are natively running Alpine Linux without systemd.

--
Sustainable and modern Infrastructures by ungleich.ch