Re: Cephadm credential support for private container repositories

On Monday, September 26, 2022 12:53:04 PM EDT Gary Molenkamp wrote:
> I'm trying to determine whether cephadm can use credential based login
> for container images from private repositories.  I don't see anything
> obvious on the official documentation for cephadm to specify the
> credentials to use.   Can someone confirm whether this is supported?
>
> The motivation for the question is to find a solution to lack of zabbix
> support in the standard container images:
>      https://github.com/ceph/ceph-container/issues/1651
> Our zabbix setup uses PSK for clients and we need to keep this
> confidential.

> I see three approaches that may work:
>      #1 Extend the standard container image with the zabbix
> software+configs and place the containers on a hosted private repo. This
> is easy to maintain, but requires support in cephadm to pull the images
> with credentials.
>      #2  Extend the standard container image with the software+configs
> and host the containers on a self-hosted repo. More work to maintain the
> repository, but does not require cephadm to log into the repo.
>      #3. Extend the standard container image with the software, hosted
> on a public repo, and use
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephadm/services/#extra-container-arguments

 to map in the config/psk files for zabbix.

> I'm leaning toward solution #3, but it would be nice to know if
> credential login is supported.

cephadm has a 'registry-login' subcommand.  I think this might be what you are
looking for.

https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/api/mon_command_api/#cephadm-registry-login
https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/man/8/cephadm/

I'm not finding a lot more documentation for this command - so if you find these
links too sparse you can also consider filing a tracker issue for expanding the
docs for this command.