rbd unmap fails with "Device or resource busy"

What can make a "rbd unmap" fail, assuming the device is not mounted and not (obviously) open by any other processes?

I have multiple XFS on rbd filesystems, and often create rbd snapshots, map and read-only mount the snapshot, perform some work on the fs, then unmount and unmap. The unmap regularly (about 1 in 10 times) fails like:

$ sudo rbd unmap /dev/rbd29
rbd: sysfs write failed
rbd: unmap failed: (16) Device or resource busy

I've double checked the device is no longer mounted, and, using "lsof" etc., nothing has the device open.

A "rbd unmap -f" can unmap the "busy" device but I'm concerned this may have undesirable consequences, e.g. ceph resource leakage, or even potential data corruption on non-read-only mounts.

I've found that waiting "a while", e.g. 5-30 minutes, will usually allow the "busy" device to be unmapped without the -f flag.

A simple "map/mount/read/unmount/unmap" test sees the unmap fail about 1 in 10 times. When it fails it often takes 30 min or more for the unmap to finally succeed. E.g.:

#!/bin/bash

set -e

rbdname=pool/name

for ((i=0; ++i<=50; )); do
  dev=$(rbd map "${rbdname}")
  mount -oro,norecovery,nouuid "${dev}" /mnt/test

  dd if="/mnt/test/big-file" of=/dev/null bs=1G count=1
  umount /mnt/test
  # blockdev --flushbufs "${dev}"
  for ((j=0; ++j; )); do
    rbd unmap "${rdev}" && break