Re: Wide variation in osd_mclock_max_capacity_iops_hdd

Frank, Sven,

I totally agree with your thoughts on performing a proper benchmark study.
The
osd bench results we obtained when compared with Fio results didn't vary
wildly
and therefore the osd bench was adopted considering the minimal impact to
the
osd startup time. But this apparently is not always the case.

In case the osd bench throws up unrealistic numbers, the recommendation
would be to run a proper benchmark using reliable tools so that allocations
for
different types of operations are accurate and scheduling operations
function
correctly.

In the immediate term we will improve the mclock documentation around
this so that users are aware what to do in case they encounter such a
situation.
We will also explore options to determine IOPS capacity more reliably.

Thank you for your feedback!
-Sridhar