Re: data usage growing despite data being written

On Wed, Sep 7, 2022 at 7:38 AM Wyll Ingersoll
<wyllys.ingersoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I'm sure we probably have but I'm not sure what else to do.  We are desperate to get data off of these 99%+ OSDs and the cluster by itself isn't doing it.
>
> The crushmap appears ok.  we have replicated pools and a large EC pool, all are using host-based failure domains.  The new osds on the newly added hosts are slowly filling, just not as much as we expected.
>
> We have far too many osds at 99%+ and they continue to fill up.  How do we remove the excess OSDMap data, is it even possible?
>
> If we shouldn't be migrating PGs and we cannot remove data, what are our options to get it to balance again and stop filling up with OSDMaps and other internal ceph data?

Well, you can turn things off, figure out the proper mapping, and use
the ceph-objectstore-tool to migrate PGs to their proper destinations
(letting the cluster clean up the excess copies if you can afford to —
deleting things is always scary).
But I haven't had to help recover a death-looping cluster in around a
decade, so that's about all the options I can offer up.
-Greg