Re: Ceph install Containers vs bare metal?

Hi Daniel,

My installation is also done with cephadm in docker containers. If you do all your operations (for instance adding or removing services) with ceph orch, the cephadm manages all de services perfectly. Pay close attention to the documentation available on the internet. A lot of sources doesn't assume the use of docker and trick you in doing operations 'manually' while most of the time, there is an very easy and more automatic ceph orch equivalent.

I also did two upgrades. Also went perfect and automatic with one command. The benefit of using docker containers is the manageability of services. Knowledge of docker containers isn't really necessary.

Config is shared over the cluster.

Only for upgrading the ceph shell, you need to use docker commands. So at least for this, I'd recommend to read up on docker.

Dominique.