Re: upgrade ceph-ansible Nautilus to octopus

On So, 2022-09-04 at 15:15 +0600, Mosharaf Hossain wrote:
> Hi
> I am running the CEPH cluster which was built using "Ceph-Ansible" and
> installed ceph version of ceph-nautilus v14. I would like to upgrade this
> cluster to Ceph-Octopus. Do you have any recommendations to upgrade such
> process?
>
> I find some upgrade steps as follows.
>
> Upgrade process:
> https://docs.ceph.com/projects/ceph-ansible/en/latest/day-2/upgrade.html
>
> *command as:*
> ansible-playbook -vv -i hosts infrastructure-playbooks/rolling_update.yml

Hi,

just some general tips, if you use ceph-ansible and altered the provided "site.yml.sample"
file to your needs, as is recommended in the documentation.

first, you will want to upgrade the playbook from the, hopefully used `stable-4.0` branch
to `stable-5.0`.

Depending on your deployment orchestration (i.e. git merge), you will see merge conflicts
in your site.yml.

I'd recommend testing the upgrade in 2 steps by utilizing a virtual testcluster in your favorite
cloud environment, probably automated by terraform or your IaC Software of the day.

first step would be to test a plain deployment of your new ceph release with your personal
site.yml and inventories.

when this succeeds try the rolling_upgrade.yml playbook.

if this works and you have no differences between dev and prod, you should be able to upgrade
production.

You might get errors because some default variable assignments where shuffled around, but these
can all be fixed in your playbook, more or less.

e.g. we hit this:

https://lists.ceph.io/hyperkitty/list/dev@xxxxxxx/message/MCU4XOKHZFA47PEXR35KBY2ZENVUG2FG/

which I would still consider a bug, because:

the generation of the group `_filtered_clients` was moved from

`roles/ceph-client/tasks/create_users_keys.yml` into `site.yml.sample`

thus the group was empty in our deployment and threw an error.

so, the tl;dr: is: make a diff over all files in the ceph-ansible playbook
you changed.

there sadly is no real changelog and it's impractical to review each git commit
for changes.

that all being said, for me the actual upgrade went very smooth.

--
Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Regards

Sven Kieske
Systementwickler / systems engineer

Mittwald CM Service GmbH & Co. KG
Königsberger Straße 4-6
32339 Espelkamp

Tel.: 05772 / 293-900
Fax: 05772 / 293-333

https://www.mittwald.de

Geschäftsführer: Robert Meyer, Florian Jürgens

St.Nr.: 331/5721/1033, USt-IdNr.: DE814773217, HRA 6640, AG Bad Oeynhausen
Komplementärin: Robert Meyer Verwaltungs GmbH, HRB 13260, AG Bad Oeynhausen

Informationen zur Datenverarbeitung im Rahmen unserer Geschäftstätigkeit
gemäß Art. 13-14 DSGVO sind unter www.mittwald.de/ds abrufbar.