Re: low available space due to unbalanced cluster(?)

Hi Oebele,

If your main data pool currently has 128 PGs correct increasing the count of
PGs should greatly help. The suggested count is about 100 PGs per OSD, so 32
OSDs at 128 PGs total for the data pool is well below that threshold. If
you're to increase the count of PGs this will additionally increase the
amount of locations objects can be stored, and thus make balancing of the
OSDs much better across the cluster. Not only is it important that the data
is well balanced, but as well the OMAP data and the metadata is balanced
too.

> - Is this change likely to solve the issue with the stuck PGs and
over-utilized OSD?

Not instantly, but it should help with the over-all recovery process, giving
more places for data to be placed therefore more concurrent recovery I/O if
your recovery settings allow it.

> - What should we expect w.r.t. load on the cluster?

That would depend on your settings for recovery and backfill, you can limit
this to be slower so there isn't much noticeable I/O loss to clients.

> - Do the 1024 PGs in xxx-pool have any influence given they are empty?

Not necessarily, though they are a waste of system usage as Ceph still has
to consider them for operation, but it should be nothing terrible or cluster
breaking. Once the recovery is done it would be best to remove or lower the
PGs on that pool.

increase in steps 128 -> 256 -> 512 -> 1024.

If your main data pool currently has 128 PGs correct increasing the count of
PGs should greatly help. The suggested count is about 100 PGs per OSD, so 32
OSDs at 128 PGs total for the data pool is well below that threshold. If
you're to increase the count of PGs this will additionally increase the
amount of locations objects can be stored, and thus make balancing of the
OSDs much better across the cluster. Not only is it important that the data
is well balanced, but as well the OMAP data and the metadata is balanced
too.

>- Is this change likely to solve the issue with the stuck PGs and
over-utilized OSD?

Not instantly, but it should help with the over-all recovery process, giving
more places for data to be placed therefore more concurrent recovery I/O if
your recovery settings allow it.

>- What should we expect w.r.t. load on the cluster?

That would depend on your settings for recovery and backfill, you can limit
this to be slower so there isn't much noticeable I/O loss to clients.

>- Do the 1024 PGs in xxx-pool have any influence given they are empty?

Not necessarily, though they are a waste of system usage as Ceph still has
to consider them for operation, but it should be nothing terrible or cluster
breaking. Once the recovery is done it would be best to remove or lower the
PGs on that pool.

Regards,

Bailey