Re: Adding new drives to ceph with ssd DB+WAL

Am 30.07.22 um 01:28 schrieb Robert W. Eckert:
Hi - I am trying to add a new hdd to each of my 3 servers, and want to use a spare ssd partition on the servers for the db+wall.   My other OSDs are set up the same way, but I can't seem to keep CEPH from creating the OSDs on the drives before I can actually create the OSD

I am trying to use the commands

ceph orch device zap cube.robeckert.us /dev/sda --force
cephadm ceph-volume lvm create --bluestore --data /dev/sda --block.db /dev/sdc1

Two things:

You cannot use "cephadm ceph-volume lvm create" in a cephadm
orchestrated cluster because it will not create the correct
container systemd units.

Use "cephadm ceph-volume lvm prepare" to create the OSD and
"ceph cephadm osd activate $HOST" to let the orchestrator create
the daemons (systemd units for containers).

AFAIK it is not possible to use a partition for a block DB device.
Create a physical volume on your SSD, a volume group and then a
logical volume for each DB device. Use the LV in the command line like this:

cephadm ceph-volume lvm preparee --bluestore --data /dev/sda --block.db vgname/lvname

Regards
--
Robert Sander
Heinlein Consulting GmbH

http://www.heinlein-support.de

Tel: 030 / 405051-43
Fax: 030 / 405051-19

Zwangsangaben lt. §35a GmbHG:
HRB 220009 B / Amtsgericht Berlin-Charlottenburg,