Impact of many objects per PG

Hi *,

are there any known limitations or impacts of (too) many objects per PG? We're dealing with a performance decrease on Nautilus (I know, but it can't be upgraded at this time) while pushing a million emails (many small objects) into the cluster. At some point, maybe between 600.000 and 900.000 emails or so, the client requests became slower (CephFS kernel clients) although all entities look fine, the MDS daemons are not overloaded, the OSDs not fully utilized (HDDs with shared rocksDB on SSDs). The HDD OSDs currently have around 100 PGs per OSD with 45 GB per PG (quite a lot) and around 180.000 objects per PG. The main data pool has an EC profile with k=4 m=5. We want to increase the pg_num anyway, we expect a general performance increase after the pg splitting, but we're still wondering where the limits are. For example, if we increase mon_max_pg_per_osd to more than 250 we could split the PGs even more to reduce PG size and number of objects per PG, if the OSDs can cope with it utilization-wise, but I'm not sure if that's a good idea. Are there any other tunables we could tweak instead to reduce the performance impact?
Any comments or references are highly appreciated!

Thanks,
Eugen