Re: Ceph on FreeBSD

On 18-7-2022 11:48, Ilya Dryomov wrote:
On Fri, Jul 15, 2022 at 8:49 AM Olivier Nicole <olivier2553@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

I would like to try Ceph on FreeBSD (because I mostly use FreeBSD) but
before I invest too much time in it, it seems that the current version
of Ceph for FreeBSD is quite old. Is it still being taken care of or
not?

Adding Willem who was driving the FreeBSD port.

Arrgghh, that is a trick question...

To be able to move on I need to get some of my PR's upstreamed to get BlueStore working.. Which is more or less wanted for the newer versions.

That said, I don't have the same amount of time available any longer
to keep up with all PR's. I do still run my FreeBSD Jenkins testers to see if compilation and testing still works.

I'd still set this quality of the implementation as Tier 3 in the FreeBSD notion. Meaning: The port is there, is works, but it certainly rough at the edges, and might fail due to unexpected difference between FreeBSD and Linux.

But I'm still answering tech question of people that want to try it.
Or even submit the odd patch to go forward.

So the question is: What would you do with it?

--WjW