Re: Quincy recovery load

Hi Jimmy,

As you rightly pointed out, the OSD recovery priority does not work because
of the
change to mClock. By default, the "high_client_ops" profile is enabled and
this
optimizes client ops when compared to recovery ops. Recovery ops will take
the
longest time to complete with this profile and this is expected.

When you say "load avg on my servers is high", I am assuming it's the
recovery load.
If you want recovery ops to complete faster, then you can first try
changing the mClock
profile to the "balanced" profile on all OSDs and see if it improves the
situation. The
"high_recovery_ops" profile would be the next option as it will provide the
best recovery
performance. But with both the "balanced" and the "high_recovery_ops"
profiles,
improved recovery performance will be at the expense of client ops which
will
experience slightly higher latencies.

For more details on the mClock profiles, see mClock Config Reference:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rados/configuration/mclock-config-ref/

To switch Profiles, see:
https://docs.ceph.com/en/quincy/rados/configuration/mclock-config-ref/#steps-to-enable-mclock-profile

The recommendation would be to change the profile on all OSDs to get the
best performance for the operation you are interested in.

-Sridhar