runaway mon DB

Running Ceph Pacific 16.2.7

We have a very large cluster with 3 monitors.  One of the monitor DBs is > 2x the size of the other 2 and is growing constantly (store.db fills up) and eventually fills up the /var partition on that server.  The monitor in question is not​ the leader.  The cluster itself is quite full but currently we cannot remove any data due to it's current mission requirements, so it is constantly in a state of rebalance and bumping up against the "toofull" limits.

How can we keep the monitor DB from growing so fast?
Why is it only on a secondary monitor not the primary?
Can we force a monitor to compact it's DB while the system is actively repairing ?

Thanks,
  Wyllys Ingersoll