Re: cephfs client permission restrictions?

Thanks for the explanation, that's what I suspected but needed the confirmation.
________________________________
From: Gregory Farnum <gfarnum@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Thursday, June 23, 2022 11:22 AM
To: Wyll Ingersoll <wyllys.ingersoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx <ceph-users@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re:  cephfs client permission restrictions?

On Thu, Jun 23, 2022 at 8:18 AM Wyll Ingersoll
<wyllys.ingersoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Is it possible to craft a cephfs client authorization key that will allow the client read/write access to a path within the FS, but NOT allow the client to modify the permissions of that path?
> For example, allow RW access to /cephfs/foo (path=/foo) but prevent the client from modifying permissions on /foo.

Cephx won't do this on its own.— it enforces subtree-based access and
can restrict clients to acting as a specific (set of) uid/gids, but it
doesn't add extra stuff on top of that. (Modifying permissions is, you
know, a write.)

This is part of the standard Linux security model though, right? So
you can make somebody else the owner and give your restricted user
access via a group.
-Greg