From: Frank Schilder <frans@xxxxxx>
Sent: 15 June 2022 15:59:15
To: Ilya Dryomov
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject:  Re: rbd resize thick provisioned image

Hi Ilya,

thanks for your explanations.

> There are other issues with it: bluestore compression, if enabled, would interfere with it, for example.

Yes, and I would expect from a ceph admin to understand that and disable any such option. So its not an argument not to have it but rather to "know what you are doing". Similarly, EC overwrites can screw this up, it only works with plain replicated pools as intended.

> "dd if=/dev/zero bs=<object size> ..." for the grown area is a perfectly fine workaround.

... except for the obvious disaster problem of a typo in the destination's start address to avoid overwriting the valuable data at the beginning. I would very much prefer a command that is smart enough to fill in the missing bits only.

Shame that your request has not been looked at. I will add a bit of information and hope it gets picked up. I cannot imagine this to be difficult at all.

Best regards,
Frank Schilder
AIT Risø Campus
Bygning 109, rum S14