Re: OSDs getting OOM-killed right after startup

Den tors 9 juni 2022 kl 22:31 skrev Mara Sophie Grosch <littlefox@xxxxxxxxxx>:
> good catch with the way too low memory target, I wanted to configure 1
> GiB not 1 MiB. I'm aware it's low, but removed anyway for testing - it
> sadly didn't change anything.
>
> I customize the config mostly for dealing problems I have, something in
> my setup makes the OSDs eat lots of memory in normal operation, just
> gradually increasing ..

> The problem of eating very much memory on startup manifests with some of
> the PGs only, but for those it goes up to ~50GiB.

Just a small note, the memory target settings are more or less only
for how the OSD should behave while in normal operation, so it will
control the amount of cache memory used and so on. If the OSD decides
it needs 50GB ram to do some recovery/GC/whatever-it-does at startup,
this will be on top of whatever memory target you have set, not
within. There are lots and lots of different places where OSDs can and
will allocate memory and any ceph.conf OSD setting will only affect a
few of those, mostly concerning how much ram it should try to use in
the default, easy cases. When doing recoveries or compactions or any
other operation that isn't just related to serving data to ceph
clients, it will allocate whatever it thinks is needed.