Thanks for being honest.

Cheers,
Kees

On 09-06-2022 15:45, David Orman wrote:
I agree with this, just because you can doesn't mean you should. It will likely be significantly less painful to upgrade the infrastructure to support doing this the more-correct way, vs. trying to layer swift on top of cephfs. I say this having a lot of personal experience with Swift at extremely large scales.

On Thu, Jun 9, 2022 at 7:34 AM Etienne Menguy <etienne.menguy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

    > but why not CephFS?
    You don't want to offer distributed storage on top of distributed
    storage.
    You can't compare rgw and openstack swift, swift also takes care
    of data storage ( the openstack swift proxy is "similar" to rgw ).

    For sure you could use 'tricks' like a single replica on swift or
    ceph, but don't expect great performance. It sounds like a
    terrible idea.
    Also, it's probably easier to update your infrastructure rather
    than deploy/learn/maintain openstack swift.

    Étienne

    environment, so it
    > makes sense to combine both with regard to Swift.
    >
    > Obviously it's best to use Keystone integration with Ceph RGW
    and integrate
    > on that level, but both Ceph and OpenStack implementations
    aren't new
    > enough to do that.
    >
    > So, I was wondering if someone tried to use CephFS as a backend
    for Swift.
    > An alternative would be RBD with a filesystem on top but why not
    CephFS?