Re: [ext] Re: Moving data between two mounts of the same CephFS

Thanks both of you for the valuable insights. This is mostly as I expected.

I think it would be a pretty interesting feature if the CephFS kernel
driver would be able to recognize/coordinate mounts to the same CephFS
instance and then delegate the move operation accordingly.
But honestly I have no idea if this is technically feasible at all nor
if their would be that many applications for that.

For now I will be able to reach all directories from within the same
mount and thus keep operations to the minimum.

But I'll will certainly keep in mind that there are exceptions such as
with the quotas.

Best,
Mathias

On 5/18/2022 4:39 PM, Frank Schilder wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a move across mount points should default to mv+rm, because these are 2 different file systems from the OS' point of view.
>
> However, a move within the same mount point should be atomic. Unfortunately, there is an exception: if the move crosses directories with quotas set. This had been fixed some time ago but, unfortunately, reverted back to bad behaviour. See https://tracker.ceph.com/issues/48203.
>
> If you are affected by this, please make some noise. The change applied is a serious performance regression working around a close to irrelevant corner case (it does not even solve it!) and it would be great if the devs would pick up on the suggestion to add a mount option "fast_move" to enable the usual atomic move on demand, with the low cost sanity checks applied.
>
> Best regards,
> =================
> Frank Schilder
> AIT Risø Campus
> Bygning 109, rum S14

Mathias Kuhring

Dr. rer. nat.
Bioinformatician
HPC & Core Unit Bioinformatics
Berlin Institute of Health at Charité (BIH)

E-Mail:  mathias.kuhring@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Mobile: +49 172 3475576