Re: Stretch cluster questions

On Mon, Apr 25, 2022 at 12:57 AM Eneko Lacunza <elacunza@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> We're looking to deploy a stretch cluster for a 2-CPD deployment. I have
> read the following docs:
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/stretch-mode/#stretch-clusters
>
> I have some questions:
>
> - Can we have multiple pools in a stretch cluster?

Yes.

> - Can we have multiple different crush rules in a stretch cluster? I'm
> asking this because the command for stretch mode activation asks for a
> rule...

Right, so what happens there is any pool with a default rule gets
switched to the specified CRUSH rule. That doesn't stop you from
changing the rule after engaging stretch mode, or giving it a
non-default rule ahead of time. You just have to be careful to make
sure it satisfies the stretch mode rules about placing across data
centers.

> We want to have different purpose pools on this Ceph cluster:
>
> - Important VM disks, with 2 copies in each DC (SSD class)
> - Ephemeral VM disks, with just 2 copies overall (SSD class)
> - Backup data in just one DC (HDD class).
>
> Objective of the 2-DC deployment is disaster recovery, HA isn't
> required, but I'll take it if deployment is reasonable :-) .

I'm leery of this for the reasons described in the docs — if you don't
have 2 replicas per site, you lose data availability every time an OSD
goes down for any reason (or else you have a window while recovery
happens where the data is not physically available in both sites,
which rather negates the purpose).
-Greg