Issues with new cephadm cluster

Hello,

I've bootstrapped a new cephadm cluster but I am unable to create any working OSDs. I have also been unable to find relevant logs to figure out what is going wrong.

I've tried to add disks individually (ceph orch daemon add <host> <dev>), using the gui and selecting a model filter, using cli with a yaml file. In all of the cases, an OSD daemon is created, the disk is prepared (with LVM and labelled as OSD.x), a systemd service is created, the OSD is marked as in, but never comes up. After 600 sec the OSD is marked also as out.

The systemctl status and journalctl -xe just tells me Failed with result exit code.

I've tried to find any relevant logs to explain what is preventing the disk from coming up. I've enabled logging to file at INFO level, but there is so much in the logs and I don't know what could be relevant.

When it fails, I don't have any real problems deleting the daemon and running cephadm ceph-volume lvm zap /dev/sdd --destroy, leaving the disk in a clean state (allowing it to automatically be picked up when using the orch). Currently I've pulled out all but one disk.

Further information that could be relevant:

  1.  I'm running the cluster on a proxmox node
  2.  The node boot disks are running zfs in raid1 configuration
  3.  The disks are attached through an external sas enclosure, but the disks are sata (as mentioned, everything seems to work well with creating the lvm, with or without encryption, the only strange thing is that smart values don't seem to be available).

Any suggestions as to how to find out what's wrong?

Thanks!