Re: MDS upgrade to Quincy

Hi Patrick
Sorry, I misread it. Now it makes perfect sense. Sorry for the noise.
Regards, Chris

On 21/04/2022 14:28, Patrick Donnelly wrote:
On Wed, Apr 20, 2022 at 8:29 AM Chris Palmer <chris.palmer@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
The Quincy release notes state that "MDS upgrades no longer require all
standby MDS daemons to be stoped before upgrading a file systems's sole
active MDS." but the "Upgrading non-cephadm clusters" instructions still
include reducing ranks to 1, upgrading, then raising it again.
The instructions are correct? For both cephadm and non-cephadm
clusters, it is necessary to reduce max_mds to 1 (ranks to 1) before
doing an upgrade. The change noted in the release is that standby MDS
(MDS not holding a rank) no longer need to be stopped / shutdown.

Does the new feature only apply once you have upgraded to Quincy, or do
the MDS upgrade notes need adjusting now? (We're upgrading from Pacific).
It's only necessary to upgrade the monitors for the feature to be
available (which is already the first thing you do when upgrading a
cluster).