Re: Cephfs scalability question

Hi,

Is it advisable to limit the sizes of data pools or metadata pools of a cephfs filesystem for performance or other reasons?

I assume you don't mean quotas for pools, right? The pool size is limited by the number and size of the OSDs, of course. I can't really say what's advisable or not, it really depends on the actual requirements. Ceph scales pretty well. Performance can be significantly improved if you use pinning with multiple active MDS servers.

We are migrating to cephfs and I estimate that we will eventually end up with 10-15PB of data and ~1.5TB of metadata. Should I divide the data among multiple data pools? Perhaps even create multiple cephfs filesystems?

This also depends on your actual requirements. For example, if you have lots of "cold" data you could archive it on erasure-coded pools on HDDs while "hot" data is on SSDs and maybe replicated. Multiple filesystems is an option, but if possible you should stick to one filesystem with pinning, here's an excerpt from the docs [1]:

Multiple file systems do not share pools. This is particularly important for snapshots but also because no measures are in place to prevent duplicate inodes. The Ceph commands prevent this dangerous configuration. Each file system has its own set of MDS ranks. Consequently, each new file system requires more MDS daemons to operate and increases operational costs. This can be useful for increasing metadata throughput by application or user base but also adds cost to the creation of a file system. Generally, a single file system with subtree pinning is a better choice for isolating load between applications.

Regards,
Eugen

[1] https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/cephfs/multifs/

Zitat von Vladimir Brik <vladimir.brik@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Hello

Is it advisable to limit the sizes of data pools or metadata pools of a cephfs filesystem for performance or other reasons?

We are migrating to cephfs and I estimate that we will eventually end up with 10-15PB of data and ~1.5TB of metadata. Should I divide the data among multiple data pools? Perhaps even create multiple cephfs filesystems?

Thanks,

Vlad