From: Matt Vandermeulen <storage@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, April 12, 2022 2:39 PM
To: Ray Cunningham <ray.cunningham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: ceph-users@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re:  Stop Rebalancing

It sounds like this is from a PG merge, so I'm going to _guess_ that you don't want to straight up cancel the current backfill and instead pause it to catch your breath.

You can set `nobackfill` and/or `norebalance` which should pause the backfill.  Alternatively, use `ceph config set osd.* osd_max_backfills 0` to stop all OSDs from allowing backfill to continue.  You could use this to throttle it on an OSD cadence, though that's a bit messy.
Consider the recovery sleep options for that, too.

However, if you want to fully cancel the rebalance, you might want to set the PG count back to where you were (if that's what you want), and unless you had a bunch of upmaps already, your cluster should be mostly balanced, minus the data that has already PG-merged.

I don't think you can do something like use `pgremapper cancel-backfill --yes` (see Github) for this because of the PG merge (though maybe you can, I haven't tried it), which will add upmaps for ongoing remapped PGs to stop them from happening.

Others can chime in with other options, I'm always interested in new ways to reign in lots of backfill.