Re: [Warning Possible spam] Re: Ceph Bluestore tweaks for Bcache

Hi Frank,

in fact this parameter impacts OSD behavior at both build-time and during regular operationing. It simply substitutes hdd/ssd auto-detection with manual specification.  And hence relevant config parameters are applied. If e.g. min_alloc_size is persistent after OSD creation - it wouldn't be updated. But if specific setting allows at run-time - it would be altered.

So the proper usage would definitely be manual ssd/hdd mode selection before the first OSD creation and keeping it in that mode along the whole OSD lifecycle. But technically one can change the mode at any arbitrary point in time which would result in run-rime setting being out-of-sync with creation ones. With some unclear side-effects..

Please also note that this setting was orignally intended mostly for development/testing purposes not regular usage. Hence it's flexible but rather unsafe if used improperly.

Thanks,

Igor