[RBD] Question about group snapshots conception

Hi everyone.
I try to understand conception of RBD group snapshots, but I can’t.
Regular snaps (not a group one) we can use like regular RBD images. We can export it or use it directly in qemu-img or we can create new image based on snap (clone).
But if we talk about group snaps – we can’t do anything. Only restore original image.
We try to implement backup solution for VMs, and in case of multi-volume VM – group snaps is good feature which give as consistency between images. But we can’t copy this snaps to different storage in safe place. We shouldn’t leave this snaps in original RBD storage.
Why are regular snaps and group snaps so different?