From: Arnaud M
Date: 2022-04-01 12:28
To: huxiaoyu@xxxxxxxxxxxx
CC: ceph-users
Subject: Re:  Ceph remote disaster recovery at PB scale
Hello

I will speak about cephfs because it what I am working on

Of course you can do some kind of rsync or rclone between two cephfs clusters but at petabytes scales it will be really slow and cost a lot !

There is another approach that we tested successfully (only on test not in prod)

We created a replicated cephfs data pool (replica 3) and spread it on 3 datacenters Beauharnois (Canada), Strasbourg (France) and Warsaw (Poland)
So we had 1 replica per datacenter

Then only the cephfs metadata pool was on ssd (nvme) close to the end user (On Strasbourg (France))

Same for Mon and Mgr (Also in Strasbourg) (in fact only cephfs data was spread geographically)

We had high bandwidth and high latency (of course) between the datacenter but it worked surprisingly well

This way you can lose up to two datacenters without losing any data (more if you use more replicas). You just have to backup (Mon and CephFS metadata witch are never a lot of data)

This strategy is only feasible for cephfs (has it is the least IOPS demanding)

If you need more iops then you should isolate the high iops demanding folder and run it on an separated pool locally on ssd

All the best

Arnaud

Leviia https://leviia.com/en