replace MON server keeping identity (Octopus)

This is a ceph-deploy setup.

I would welcome suggestions as to how to replace a server hosting a MON;
none of the following have worked for me:

This fails:
1. Setup new server and copy MONMAP/keys to new server.
2. Shutdown old server (cluster out of quorum)
2. Change new server identity(IP, hostname) to match old server, reboot
3. ceph-mon -i cnx-10 --mkfs --monmap MONMAP.out --keyring MON.keyring
4. reboot
5. Log fills up with cephx server client.admin:  unexpected key

AND this fails:
1. add new server as new MON, joins quorum
2. shutdown old server
3. change identity of new server to match old, reboot
4. Log fills with mon.cnx-10@0(electing) e5 collect_metadata :  no unique
device id for : fallback method has no model nor serial'
mon.cnx-10@0(electing) e5 handle_auth_request failed to assign global_id

AND this fails:
1. Shutdown old server
2. Change new server identity to match old server
3. ceph-deploy --overwrite-conf mon create cnx-10

New server never joins existing quorum.

Thanks for any ideas. I would like to retain identity (IP address) of the
original server as it is embedded in many client systems.