Re: Ceph OSD's take 10+ minutes to start on reboot

Hi Chris,

Such meta growth is completely unexpected to me.

And IIUC you've got custom rocksdb settings, right? What's the rationale for that? I would strongly discourage to alter them without deep understanding of the consequences...

My current working hypothesis is that DB compaction is not performed properly during regular operation and is postponed till OSD restart. Let's try to confirm that.

Could you please share the output for the following command:

ceph tell osd.1 bluefs stats

Additionally you might want to share rocksdb stats, this to be collected on an offline OSD:

ceph-kvstore-tool bluestore_kv /var/lib/ceph/osd/ceph-1 stats

Then please set debug-rocksdb & debug-bluestore to 10 and bring up osd.1 again. Which apparently will need some time. What's in OSD log then?

Once restarted - please collect a fresh report from 'bluefs stats' command and share the results.

And finally I would suggest to leave other OSDs (as well as rocksdb settings) intact for a while to be able to troubleshoot the issue to the end..

Thanks,

Igor