Re: 3 OSDs can not be started after a server reboot - rocksdb Corruption

Hallo Igor,

I'm glad I could be of help. Thank you for your explanation!

>  And I was right this is related to deferred write procedure  and apparently fast shutdown mode.

Does that mean I can prevent the error in the meantime, before you can fix the root cause, by disabling osd_fast_shutdown?
Can it be disabled by the following statements in the ceph.conf?
```
[osd]
	fast shutdown = false
```
(I wasn’t able to find any documentation for “osd_fast_shutdown”, e.g.: https://docs.ceph.com/en/pacific/rados/configuration/osd-config-ref/ does not contain “osd_fast_shutdown”)

> 1) From the log I can see you're using RBD over EC pool for the repro, right? What's the EC profile?
Yes, one of the two EC pools contains one RBD image and the other EC pool is used for cephFS.

Rules from my crush map:
```
rule ec4x2hdd {
	id 0
	type erasure
	min_size 8
	max_size 8
	step set_chooseleaf_tries 5
	step set_choose_tries 100
	step take default class hdd
	step choose indep 4 type host
	step choose indep 2 type osd
	step emit
}
rule c3nvme {
	id 1
	type replicated
	min_size 1
	max_size 10
	step take default class nvme
	step chooseleaf firstn 0 type host
	step emit
}
```
The EC rule requires 4 hosts, but as I have already mentioned the cluster does only have 3 nodes. Since I did never add the fourth node after the problem occurred the first time.

I created the EC profile by:
```
$ ceph osd erasure-code-profile set ec4x2hdd-profile \
	k=5 \
	m=3 \
	crush-root=ec4x2hdd
```

And the EC pools by:
```
$ ceph osd pool create fs.data-hdd.ec-pool 64 64 erasure ec4x2hdd-profile ec4x2hdd warn 36000000000000 	# 36TB
$ ceph osd pool create block-hdd.ec-pool 16 16 erasure ec4x2hdd-profile ec4x2hdd warn 1000000000000	#  1TB
```

Replicated pools on NVMes
```
ceph osd pool create block-nvme.c-pool 32 32 replicated c3nvme 0 warn 549755813888	# 512 GB
ceph osd pool create fs.metadata-root-pool 8 8 replicated c3nvme 0 warn 4294967296	# 4 GB
ceph osd pool create fs.data-root-pool 16 16 replicated c3nvme 0 warn 137438953472	# 128 GB
```

enable overwrite support:
```
$ ceph osd pool set fs.data-hdd.ec-pool allow_ec_overwrites true
$ ceph osd pool set block-hdd.ec-pool allow_ec_overwrites true
```

Set Application:
```
$ ceph osd pool application enable fs.data-hdd.ec-pool cephfs
$ ceph osd pool application enable "block-hdd.ec-pool" rbd
```

Use the rbd tool to initialize the pool for use by RBD:
```
$ rbd pool init "block-nvme.c-pool"
$ rbd pool init "block-hdd.ec-pool"
```

Create RBD image:
```
$ rbd --pool "block-nvme.c-pool" create vm-300-disk-1 --data-pool "block-hdd.ec-pool" --size 50G
```

Create cephFS:
```
$ ceph osd pool create fs.metadata-root-pool 8 8 replicated c3nvme 0 warn 4294967296	# 4 GB
$ ceph osd pool create fs.data-root-pool 16 16 replicated c3nvme 0 warn 137438953472	# 128 GB
$ ceph fs new cephfs fs.metadata-root-pool fs.data-root-pool
```

Add the EC pool to the cephFS:
```
$ ceph fs add_data_pool cephfs fs.data-hdd.ec-pool
```

Set the Layout of the directory “shared” so that files that are created inside the folder “shares” uses the EC pool:
```
$ setfattr -n ceph.dir.layout.pool -v fs.data-hdd.ec-pool /mnt/cephfs-olymp/shares/
```

> 2) How did you generate the load during last experiments? Was it some benchmarking tool or any other artificial load generator? If so could you share job desriptions or scripts if any?

I did not use a benchmarking tool or any other artificial load generator. The RBD image “vm-300-disk-1” is formatted as BTRFS. I used rsync to copy daily website backups to the volume. The backups are versioned and go back 10 days. If a new version is created, a new folder is added and all files that did not change are hard linked to the file in the folder of the last day. A new or updated file is copied form the production server.
This backup procedure was not done on the ceph cluster. It is done on another server, I just copied the web backup directory of that server to the RBD image. However, I used rsync with the "-H” flag to copy the data from the “productive” backup server to the RBD image, therefore the hard links are preserved.

I copied shared group folders and apple time machine backups to CephFS, also with rsync from another server. The shared user folder contains typical office date, text document, CSV, files, JPEG images,…. The  apple time machine backups are basically folders with lots of 8MB or 32MB files that contains encrypted data.

In order to reproduce the rocksDB corruption I started the rsync process whenever I did find some time. I did wait until rsync found at least some files that has change and copied it to the RBD image or cephFS. Then, I triggered a shutdown on all 3 cluster nodes.

However, best to my knowledge, there was no IO at all between the last 3 restarts of the OSDs, except the IO that is caused by mounting the cephFS on 4 systems and the BTRFS file system on the RBD image on one system.

If you want to create a minimal example that is able to trigger the error, I would suggest to create an RBD image on an EC pool with  k=5, m=3 on a cluster with only 6 HDD based OSDs. Format the RBD image with BTRFS and start creating and deleting hard links on it. I don’t know if this is really the trigger, but it is currently my best idea.

Best wishes,
Sebastian