Re: Procedure for migrating wal.db to ssd

Hi Erik,

On 3/10/2022 6:19 PM, Anderson, Erik wrote:
Hi Everyone,

I am running a containerized pacific cluster 15.2.15 with 80 spinning disks and 20 SSD. Currently the SSDs are being used as a cach tier and holds the metadata pool for cephfs. I think we could make better use of the SSDs by moving block.wal and block.db to the SSDs and I have a few questions about this.

   *   How do I change my config to hold block.db and block.wal? Do I need to fail out drives and then re-create them? What is the proper procedure for this?

This is doable without OSD recreation starting v15.2.15 via  new ceph-volume migrate/new-db/new-wal commands. This supports LVM-based deployments only though. Technically that's doable for partition based deployments as well but it might be tricky.

   *   How do I determine the number of spinning drives that can share one SSD?
I think running some experiments on a test cluster would be the best option given the variety of parameters which might affect the answer...
   *   Is this a good idea? Am I likely to see a performance increase – what kinds of workflows will benefit from this change?

Thanks for your help!

Erik Anderson

Igor Fedotov
Ceph Lead Developer

Looking for help with your Ceph cluster? Contact us at https://croit.io

croit GmbH, Freseniusstr. 31h, 81247 Munich
CEO: Martin Verges - VAT-ID: DE310638492
Com. register: Amtsgericht Munich HRB 231263
Web: https://croit.io | YouTube: https://goo.gl/PGE1Bx