Re: removing osd, reweight 0, backfilling done, after purge, again backfilling.

Den fre 25 feb. 2022 kl 13:00 skrev Marc <Marc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:
> I have a clean cluster state, with the osd's that I am going to remove a reweight of 0. And then after executing 'ceph osd purge 19', I have again remapping+backfilling done?
>
> Is this indeed the correct procedure, or is this old?
> https://docs.ceph.com/en/latest/rados/operations/add-or-rm-osds/#removing-osds-manual

When you either 1) purge an OSD, or 2) ceph osd crush reweight to 0.0
you change the total weight of the OSD-host, so if you ceph osd
reweight an OSD, it will push its PGs to other OSDs on the same host
and empty itself, but that host is now having more PGs than it really
should. When you do one of the two above steps, the host weight
becomes corrected and the extra PGs move to other osd hosts. This will
also affect the total weight of the whole subtree, so other PGs might
start moving aswell, on hosts not directly related, but this is more
uncommon.