Re: Ceph EC K+M

A couple of years ago someone suggested on the list wrote:

>> 3) k should only have small prime factors, power of 2 if possible
>>
>> I tested k=5,6,8,10,12. Best results in decreasing order: k=8, k=6. All
>> other choices were poor. The value of m seems not relevant for performance.
>> Larger k will require more failure domains (more hardware).

I suspect that K being a power of 2 aligns with sharding, for efficiency and perhaps even minimizing space wasted due to internal fragmentation.

As K increases, one sees diminishing returns for incremental raw:usable ratio, so I would think that for most purposes aligning to a power of 2 wouldn’t have much of a downside.  Depending on your workload, large values could result in wasted space, analagous to eg. the dynamics of tiny S3 objects vs a large min_alloc_size  :

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1rpGfScgG-GLoIGMJWDixEkqs-On9w8nAUToPQjN8bDI/edit#gid=358760253

I usually recommend a 2,2 profile as a safer alternative to replication with size=2, and 4,2 for additional space efficiency while blowing up the fault domain factor, rebuild overhead, etc.

ymmocv