Re: cephadm picks development/latest tagged image for daemon-base (docker.io/ceph/daemon-base:latest-pacific-devel)

Hi Adam,

Thanks for reviewing the long output.

Like you said, it makes total sense now since the first mon and mgr are
created by cephamd bootstrap and the rest of the dameons by the mgr module.

But, even if I gave --image flag with bootstrap the daemons created by mgr
module are using the daemon-base image, in our case its '
docker.io/ceph/daemon-base:latest-pacific-devel'.
Which I guess is because, mgr daemon takes into consideration the
configuration parameter 'container_image', whose default value is '
docker.io/ceph/daemon-base:latest-pacific-devel'.

What we guess is even if we provide --image flag in cephadm bootstrap,
cephadm is not updating the variable container_image with this value.
Hence, all the remaining daemons are getting created using
daemon-base image.

Below is the value of config 'container_image' after bootstrapping with
--image flag provided.

[root@hcictrl01 stack_orchestrator]# ceph-conf -D | grep -i container_image
container_image = docker.io/ceph/daemon-base:latest-pacific-devel

However, one workaround is to provide this config in the initial bootstrap
config file and present it to the cepham bootstrap using the flag --config,
which updates the image name and all the daemons are getting created with
the same image.

Also, regarding the non-uniform behaviour of the first mon even if created
using the same image is quite surprising. I double checked the
configuration of all mon, and could not find a major difference between
first and remaining mons. I tried to reconfigt the first mon which ended up
in the same corner. However, redeploying the specific mon with command
'ceph orch redeploy <name> quay.io/ceph/ceph:v16.2.7, caused the first mon
also showing the same warning as rest, as it got redeployed by the mgr.

Are we expecting any difference between the mon deployed by cephadm
bootstrap and mon deployed by mgr, even if we'r using the same image?
We have only the lack of warning in the first mon to state that there might
be a difference in the first mon and rest of the mons.

Thanks again Adam for checking this. Your insights into this will be highly
appreciated.

Thanks and Regards,
Arun Vinod